Tiberghien advises and assists clients in mediating or negotiating amicable settlements or working towards a legal solution in disputes to do with family and inheritance law, both in Belgium and abroad. The Family Law and Family Property Law team has extensive expertise in:
- liquidation and division of estates;
- inheritance acceptance (under benefit of inventory) and waiver;
- non-disposable parts of the legal reserve;
- conversion of the usufruct of the surviving spouse;
- sealing off, sequestration and attachment/seizure;
- theft of assets in estates;
- international private law.
- deeds of donations, handgifts, gifts via bank transfer;
- parental partitions;
- wills and other last-wills-and-testaments (property law and non-property law aspects).
Personal and family law:
- parentage, acknowledgement and contestation of paternity, maternity and coparenting;
- recognition and transcription of foreign instruments in Belgium;
- protection of incompetent persons and their property (administration);
- separation and divorce (with mutual consent or due to irretrievable breakdown);
- liquidation and division of marital estates after divorce;
- parental disputes regarding minors (housing, parental authority, etc.);
- alimony payments between (ex-)partners and child support (pensions and support payments);
- international private law;
- family tax law.